Sunday, October 28, 2007

Ratatouille Review


This is an AWESOME movie - visually stimulating, funny, and yet value-loaded in a very amiable manner. My favorite cartoon movie thus far. You don't get to see such movies often, so much substance, heart-warming, full of life's
lessons yet doesnt bore you at all.

The scenes that have a lasting impression on me are:

Deep scenes:
1) Gusteau's review - of course who would forget the catchy lines at the end of the movie.
Indeed so true, we are always capable to bring someone down, we tend to underestimate the potential of others. It takes a movie like Ratatouille to remind us that anyone is a star in his or her own right.

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we
critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize that only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more.



2) Remy's drift
When Remy was carried by the currents and got separated from his family, he was sullen. Gusteau appeared with his funny 'I'm a figment of your imagination'lines <- i love this figment line hehe. I totally agree with what he advised Remy 'If you're focused on what you've left behind, you will not be able to see what lies ahead. Now go up, and look around!'

It was also the same time when I got ticked off by a friend's comment. There are a few unpleasant things that got me disappointed, and I chose to brush them OFF completely and start anew. My friend sort of told me 'moving on is NOT about not
looking back' because he finds me skeptical. Whenever someone drops a 'disturbing' harsh line to me, I sometimes couldnt help but to be affected haha, anyway something for my new year's resolution then hehe. So at least this line from Ratatouille affirms my point. :)


3) Mouse trap
Remy was brought to a place with dead mice on mouse traps by this father, purpose of which is to let him see the real world and give up his dreams of being a chef.

'The world we live in belongs to the enemy, we must live carefully. We look out for our own kind. When all is said and done, we're all we've got'.
---It sounds positive to me. It shows the concern and unity of a family, a race. At the end of day, when the whole world turns its back on you, your family is all you've got.

Change is nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
---Everything is a matter of CHOICE. Decide for you own. I am a firm believer of 'kung gusto, may paraan'! :)



Funny scenes:
1) Remy's aroma scene
When Remy asks his brother Emil to take time to eat slowly and meditate, experience the aroma of strawberries combined with cheese, and then flashes the blissful smile. 'Now close your eyes, take a bite of this..' Really funny scene.

2) Cooking rats in the kitchen
The scene where a battallion of rats was preparing the food, there was this sanitizing heat cabin that cleanses them before they start cooking. Funny to see their hairs standing up and stiff.

So what's the effect of watching Ratatouille.. After watching the movie I decided to take my cooking prowess to the next level (haha feeling lng). I finally took the challenge of cooking a dish that I've always wanted to try but never really got
the inspiration to proceed. Crabs! I guess nobody in the right mind would think of buying crabs (i mean for my profile - my age, a supposedly busy overseas worker, etc). Viola, I was able to prepare 3 kinds, chilli crab, crab vermicelli and butter
garlic crab. :p I'll just blog about the last episode of my Food Lab next time. :)

No comments: